Monday, March 10, 2008

How Are Elite Athlete's Made?

I've been thinking about this question for the past couple days and to tell you the truth, I've had to give it quite a bit of thought. I don't feel much different than anybody else. Growing up, I had a talent for cross-country skiing and running but I was never the "superstar." What event or at what moment did I know I wanted to become an elite cross-country ski racer? That, I do know the answer too...

In 2002, I had the opportunity to be a fore-runner for the cross-country events at the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Winter Games. I, along with 15 other top ranked junior skiers in the nation, were given the privilege to ski the course before the racers. We made sure the course was set-up correctly and made sure that the ski tracks were skied in. I was submersed in an experience that gave me a taste of what it would be like to be a top notch, elite athlete competing in the Olympics without actually having to race! I came face to face with all the top skiers in the world and was able to watch them from front view. Observing each athlete warm-up, compete and simply being in their midst, was very inspiring to to me.

A view of the stadium area

When I arrived at the venue the fist day, I was awe-struck by the lay out of the courses and the site of the stadium. After watching the 15/30k skate race the first day, I was completely inspired by watching Italian skier, Stefania Belmondo. She broke a pole during the race and came back to win the race! Watching her petite body power up the last hill on the course, known as Hermod's hill, was truly amazing! She went from being in 20th place to 1st place within 1 kilometer, going up hill! I knew the only way she made that happen was by pure determination!!! Wow!

Stefania realizes she has just won the first gold medal of the 2002 Olympic Games

This was only the first race of the games, and there were several more to come! Another truly inspiring moment was when North American's, Beckie Scott from Canada, won the bronze medal in the sprint races! It was exciting to see a North American women place so well in an Olympic event. Several months later, this bronze medal turned into a gold due to doping suspension of the women who won the gold and the silver. Unfortunately, doping is a problem in cross-country skiing. Beckie Scott, proud to be on the podium!

In addition to watching athletes from around the world, I was excited to be able to cheer for skiers from the US and even more excited to cheer for my teammate and friend, Kikkan Randall. She qualified for the 2002 Olympics for the first time at the age of 20. Knowing that I had trained and skied with her, made me realize that I could be there some day as well!

Kikkan Randall

Watching this world-class event definitely inspired me and made me realize that I wanted to continue pursuing cross-country skiing and be in the Olympics some day. Six years later, I am still training hard to be in their shoes at the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Winter Games. I must always remember the determination I witnessed watching those games. Now I really know what it takes to get there!





1 comment:

chumly said...

Great to be you! I tried cross country skiing. They gave me a red suit and I ended up giving the kids ice fishing presents. It is a wonderful sport. Thanks for posting.