Sunday, May 10, 2009

10 Day Cleanse

What is a cleanse? What is the purpose? Can I really go 10 days eating only certain food items? Will I feel any better? Any different? These are all questions I asked myself the first time I did a cleanse. And the answer is, “YES!” I just finished my second 10 day cleanse and I was reminded one, how hard it is and two, how simple and easy it is. I know that doesn’t make much sense, but if this is something that sounds crazy to you, let me try to explain…


First off, let me clarify by saying that a cleanse is not a fast. In this particular cleanse called, Heart of Nourishment, by Hale Sofia Schatz, the purpose is to simplify digestion and rid your body of toxins. It is a food based cleanse where you feed yourself regularly throughout the process. It is broken down into three phases: Phase 1-Fruits and Vegetables; Phase 2- Grains, Seeds and Nuts; Phase 3- Protein. Each phase can be prolonged as long as you wish. For example, I ate fruits and vegetables for 3 days, then I added grains, seeds and nuts on the 4th day and by day 5 I added limited protein. I have to admit that the first few days were the most difficult. I definitely did not feel rejuvenated and refreshed. I made the mistake of going for a 2 ½ hour run on day 4 and bonked big time. Once I moved into phase 2, rice and quinoa tasted so good! By day 5 I needed protein! Once I reached the third phase, I felt like my body was responding to the cleanse. I let go of my old patterns and I became very aware of what I was eating and what I did not need! It was tough to cut out sugar and sweets.


Overall, I believe the cleanse was very beneficial for me. It is a powerful way of bringing mindfulness and sensitivity to your relationship with food and makes you aware of how simple eating can be. It is a good way for me to start a new season…completely cleansed. And it gets you into a good habit of eating more fruits and vegetables on a regular basis.


If you are interested in learning more about the cleanse or trying it yourself, you can check out this website: www.heartofnourishment.com


2 comments:

john said...

http://www.ebm-first.com/?cat=65

Check out this link.

Liz Stephen said...

Thanks for setting up the coffee date with Mo yesterday, Nicole. You're a great friend!!
See you in Bend!
Liz