Thursday, January 15, 2009

U.S. Nationals Recap

Quite a bit has happened since my last blog! To catch you up to date, I will continue where I left off…

Monday, January 5- Temperatures warmed up to -3 F and we were able to race the 5k skate. With built up excitement and energy from the previous two days of not racing, I bolted out that start gate. A 5k race is short and I pushed every part of the course. I ended up in 12th place, just 4 seconds from 10th!

Tuesday, January 6- Woke up to another day of subzero weather! The race got delayed two times. I began my warm-up and soon found out that they canceled the race. Another day gone! Due to the cold weather, I chose to run indoors on the treadmill. It was a good little L3 workout and it felt good to run.

Kate Arduer and Laura Valaas waiting to hear if the race is on.

Wednesday, January 7- Even colder today…-18 F at my house this morning! Races were canceled and this time I didn’t even have to go out to the race venue. I ran on an indoor track at the “Dome.” My workout included a 1x5min L3 with 6x15 sec speeds. Feeling ready to go!

The dome has 4 soccer fields and has the largest indoor track in North America.

Thursday, January 8- Woke up to a -12 F…knew there was a possibility of racing! Went out to Kincaid at 12:30pm and heard the word that the race was on! I immediately was in race mode and began my warm-up. Along with a temperature of -3 today, there was a wind chill which created a temperature of -25 F!!! Brrr, it was cold! I completed the qualifying found feeling like I had gone slow. Without knowing where I ended up, I began my cool-down. When I returned to the stadium, my name was posted in 7th! I was very pleased and figured that if I felt slow and got 7th, then I could got fast in the rounds. I ended up 9th overall. I was pleased with my result…I wasn’t expecting that in a classic sprint of all races!

That evening the pre-olympic world cup team was announced. I was not sure if I made it, but was excited to hear my name announced!

Friday, January 9- Woke up and didn’t have to mentally and physically prepare of a race! I enjoyed an easy distance ski on some of my favorite trails at Kincaid. Friday evening I helped out with an event called Fast and Female. This event was for 9-19 year old girls and it included a ski session from elite female skiers, snacks, inspirational speeches, videos and autograph signing. It was a huge success! There were over 160 girl participants.

All 160 Fast and Female participants and the 25 elite female skiers who volunteered.


Posing for a picture with Jamie and Annie.

Saturday, January 10- I raced in the 10k classic UAA invitational at Kincaid. I felt pretty sore and tired going into the race but thought I might be able to ski it off…that did not happen. I finished 10th despite feeling flat and tired.

Sunday, January 11- Took today pretty easy. I still felt a little tired and sore from the races. Resting up for next week!

Monday, January 12- It finally warmed up to above zero! It’s 13 F today! I went for an easy distance ski.

Tuesday, January 13- Left Anchorage and flew to Whistler.

Wednesday, January 14- I was informed that I get to race the pursuit race as well as the classic sprint this weekend at the World Cups in Whistler. Yay! I skied the pursuit course and included some speeds. I am feeling good and I’m very excited to be here! It is sunny and 32 degrees!

Thursday, January 15- Tested skis at the venue…it is full on klister conditions. Getting ready to race tomorrow!

Tomorrow I race in the classic sprint race. I am very excited to race in my first world cup and I am aiming for a top-30 tomorrow!

1 comment:

h a l e y j o h n s o n said...

Congrats on your World Cup races this week Nicole!! I was so psyched to see you and Colin out there! I have really enjoyed following all of us after collegiate skiing and watching the progress we've all made. I hope you are having a blast at the World Cup and have gotten a sweet taste for the next level of skiing. Each time I start, I think to myself that starting these races is one of the coolest things we will ever do. I watched both the men's and women's pursuit yesterday and am psyched to catch the team sprint later on today. We'll be watching from over here - I am in Ruhpolding, Germany and we move on to the next world cup in Italy tomorrow. Best of luck Nicole! Oh, and if you have not heard, Dave and I got engaged! best, haley